Panshanger Park is a historic Grade II listed park and garden to the west of Hertford. The park covers an area of 1000 acres, of which 200 acres are open to the public. Much of the parkland was created by Humphry Repton in the late 18th century, with other parts previously landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown.
The eastern part of the park opened on Monday 31st March 2014, with a further area to the west opening on 12th July 2015.
A further 4.7km of paths opened in June 2019, including a 750m section along the River Mimram linking eastern and western parts of the park.
The main access point to the park is from the new Thieves Lane car park, which provides access to the cycle route and circular points of interest trail. There is also access from the village of Hertingfordbury where the Friends of Panshanger Park have cleared the existing path from the village. A short walk takes visitors to the circular Chisel Shelf trail and the public right of way running to the north of the A414.
The Estate was acquired by Earl Cowper at the beginning of the 18th Century and it remained in the family for 300 years. The Park was modelled around the Mimram Valley following advice from Humphry Repton and Lancelot 'Capability' Brown.
Following the death of 7th Earl Cowper in 1905, the Estate was inherited by Lady Ethel Desborough. She died without an heir in 1952 and the Estate was sold off in lots. There was no interest in the house, so it was demolished between 1953 and 1954.
Since the 1980s the park has been owned by Lafarge Tarmac and parts have been quarried for sand and gravel. Much of the site has now been restored to arable farming or has been allowed to revert back to nature.
Panshanger Park is now listed as an historic park and garden by English Heritage.
This page was last updated on 30th July 2019.